I couldn’t sleep last night, and I couldn’t get warm either, so I decided I was going to bake something to warm up the house a little. I looked around in my kitchen to see what I could find, and as I dug around in the cabinets, I found some butterscotch chips. Following the recipe below, I made some butterscotch brownies, and let me tell you, they were AWESOME! I’m not sure what got me in the backing mood, since I hardly ever bake. Mainly because I don’t like have sweets in the house for long, since I have a tenacity to over-do on them. But, if your looking for something sweet, something different and something fun to bake, then give these brownies a try!
- 2/3 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 cup shortening
- 1 cup packed brown sugar
- 1 egg
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Grease an 8 inch square baking pan.
- In large bowl, cream the shortening, brown sugar, vanilla and eggs. In a separate bowl, mix together the flour, walnuts, baking powder and salt. Slowly add to egg mixture, stirring until well blended. Spread dough evenly into the prepared pan.
- Bake for 20 to 24 minutes, or until inserted toothpick comes out clean.
- Sprinkle Butterscotch chips over the top last 5 minutes of baking
- Chocolate Chips